MY MESSAGE TODAY

June 19, 2009

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

Thanks for dropping by ;o) Either you're a new visitor or an old one - pls. click HERE so you can view my latest posts. I have my own domain for shewrites and it would be very much appreciated if you can share your thoughts.

God Bless...


meili


Monday, November 24, 2008

IS IT APPROPRIATE TO TALK ABOUT DEATH?

SHE WRITES:

Last week, my husband and our friends got to chat about insurances. It then lead to the topic that his sister's husband ensured himself a great amount of money to make sure incase he leaves earth someday, his wife and daughter won't live penny less. He told that they (his sister and her hubby) have plans already - like if he dies, she'll get the money, pay all the debt, sell their business so she and the kid can just live with the interest of the money from the bank. Our friend's sister is a fulltime homemaker and the moment her husband goes, she will absolutely be crippled when it comes to handling the business because her hubby does everything. Another sister of his who's actually single but earns a significant amount in an MLM has already written somewhat like a transfer of finances - distributing her income to her siblings - incase she gets to heaven ahead of them. I think this is a healthy conversation - I mean, preparing for that "day" - because we truly never know when our time on earth is due. I believe people who love me will have trouble emotionally and physically living without me by their side, so I don't want to burden them some more by not preparing for the things they need to survive. My husband is the main provider of our family and we share the same view. However, I do understand that not everyone is comfortable talking about these things.

How about you? Do you think it's appropriate to talk about death in terms of preparing for it?

A. Yes, it's inappropriate
B. No, it's OK to talk
C. Others (pls. specify)

YOU WRITE:

A. Yes, it's inappropriate
B. No, it's OK to talk
C. Others (pls. specify)

13 comments:

Aizan Suhaira said...

It's the most practical thing to do. Why avoid talking about something that would eventually happen anyway? It is best that we prepare for it financially and spiritually.

Mari said...

I think it's very appropriate and the smart thing to do. I am a nurse and have seen families go through the process of losing a loved one and it's lots easier if they have talked about it before hand. I have made it a point to talk to my kids about it also - not talking money or that kind of thing, but to let them know that I'm not afraid of dying and that I'll see them again in heaven.

missy said...

we will all have to face these times in our lives....so why not discuss them when we are all here and able to make these plans on our own!!! so that our families are not left to worry!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that it is important to talk about it. Even to discuss things like organ donating (which we all will).

Anonymous said...

yes, no problem with that. :D

Anonymous said...

i don't think talking about death is inappropriate. we will all get there anyway. :D

Anonymous said...

yes, smart and practical thing to talk about.

Lee said...

Death is part of life; talk away!

Anonymous said...

Though the very thought of talking about death doesn't exactly appeal to me . . . to a certain degree it's necessary. But when it turns to a maudlin or conversation of the like, of one's own demise - I have to draw the line there. That, to me, seems like it's tempting the gods.

Jenners said...

Although it isn't fun it is something you need to do if you really love your family. We had a bit of a difficult experience a few years back when there was a death in the family and found out it left the widow in a very difficult situation financially because the insurance policy hadn't been updated since the 1950s and the money that was "enough" then didn't even make a dent in the funeral expenses. I think it is something that all families need to talk about and then revisit from time to time.

By the way, I gave you shout out on my blog yesterday and picked up a cute new background. Thanks!

Shannon Jacobyansky said...

Death is an interesting word. When I think of death, I actually think of finally reaching my true home...heaven! So death to me really means life! Yes, we need to talk about death. When is there ever an inappropriate time to talk about death when it could mean true death in the depths of hell for an unbelieving soul.

Hill Rat said...

Definitely appropriate. I recently lost my Father and we never talked about what needed to be done in the event of his demise. We're all coping pretty well, but the situation could have been easier if he had sat down and had a ten minute conversation with us.

Henry the Dog said...

Well I don't really think much about dying because I love living but I know that mum and Uncle Hugh have talked about it 'cause mum's really practical about things like that. Mum thinks you have to sort stuff out before you die 'cause you can't after can you???

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online