MY MESSAGE TODAY

June 19, 2009

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

Thanks for dropping by ;o) Either you're a new visitor or an old one - pls. click HERE so you can view my latest posts. I have my own domain for shewrites and it would be very much appreciated if you can share your thoughts.

God Bless...


meili


Thursday, November 20, 2008

LOYALTY TO YOUR FRIEND OR COUNTRY?

SHE WRITES:

Two weeks ago, my husband and I watched The Unit on DVD. If you're familiar with The Unit, these group of men and their wives are loyal to their country and they answer to the President directly. The last episode we saw had an interesting question that kept me wondering: If you were to choose between loyalty to your friend and your country, which will you choose? You can't choose both because your life long friend is suspected to be doing an illegal thing which is subject to lifetime imprisonment. Or your best friend who happens to be a politician, squanders the public's money for his personal gains...I treasure friendships so much but I am also for standing for what's right... I will try my best to convince my friend to turn away from his illegal activities, but if he won't =( I don't know if I will be able to afford seeing that life long friend in jail for the rest of his life, leaving his wife and his kids...

How about you? Will you choose...
A. Loyalty to friend
B. Loyalty to country
C. Others (pls. specify)

YOU WRITE:


A. Loyalty to friend

B. Loyalty to country

C. Others (pls. specify)

10 comments:

Mari said...

Wow - you're getting deep. In most cases I would say A. I would only do otherwise if the country was asking you do to something morally wrong or against God's will.

Jenners said...

I hope your baby and you are feeling better.

I would have to say friend because country just seems too abstract and a friend is more concrete and immediate.

Lee said...

Ugh! Too many variables. Is your friend doing something in keeping with your values? Is your country doing something in keeping with your values? These can swing the balance either way. A coward's answer? You bet!

Henry the Dog said...

c. Other. Surely it would depend on what the good friend has done - how heinous is the crime? My mum would not stand by someone if they'd done something truly horrific.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! this reminds me of jocjoc bolante!

for me: it is others. my loyalty is with God, so that means loyalty to righteousness. if my country is right, i will defend my country. if my friend is right, i will defend my friend. but if they are wrong, i will not condone their wrongdoing.

Anonymous said...

at any rate i would go for my friends since i'm quite sure they won't do anything like that. besides, these friends came from different nationalities (even from the most prejudiced Africa) and we don't have any intent to be impartial with regard to where-ever we're from. the thing that could only change should be each one's culture and i believe no one has the right to discriminate others for it.

Dory_42 said...

I honestly don't know. Friends are really important to me and I don't know what I would do without them, but I love my country. I work for the government (looking after snakes, but they still pay my salary!!) and know there are alot of problems, a lot of things they have not got right, but deep in my heart I am extremely proud to be an African (even if it is first generation.) God chose for me to be born at the bottom of the most incredible continent for a reason and that means I need to support the country I live in. I guess the final question would be, "What does God want me to do in the specific situation?" I'd have to do what he tells me...

view from my front porch said...

I hope you get feeling better soon.
There really are so many variables in this question. At first I would say friend. However it depends on what type of illegal your talking about. There is illegal that is harmful to yourself and others. Then there is illegal just because you have different morals and beliefs depending on the country.
So I guess my answer is C. Other

Hippie said...

I would say friend. Because I feel that my country is about to be going down the drain.

Michele M. Jackson said...

I would have to say country. I can't back up a close friend that I don't agree with their illegal actions. Besides, my family is already making the sacrifices and choosing country everyday we wake up.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online